Hiring An International Student

Here are some important facts for Employers thinking about hiring international students. For more information, please contact the UCLA Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars.

CPT- Curricular Practical Training may be authorized by UCLA for F-1 students participating in off-campus internships, cooperative education, or practicum required for their academic program. A student on CPT will show you their work authorization which can be found on the student’s Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) and includes the company name, beginning and ending date, and signature of the designated school official. There are no fees to the student or the employer for Curricular Practical Training.  If you would like to hire someone under CPT, you must provide him/her the job offer first, before a student is eligible for CPT.

OPT- Optional Practical Training is a work authorization that allows F-1 students to work in a position related to his/her course of study.  Students holding an F-1 visa are eligible for 12 months of OPT employment before completion of their degree or following graduation. The authorization can be found on an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) which includes their name, photo and valid dates of employment. There are no fees (except those paid by the student to obtain the EAD card) associated with hiring a student for Optional Practical Training.